Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ungratefulness, a blessing in disguise

Human nature is   truly an ungrateful one and I think this trait has led to our progress. Our  habit  of not being  satisfied  with what we get and what we achieve, is the biggest motivating  factor  that has led to our success and improvement.
            Now the question arises, “Why am I being so philosophical about human ungratefulness?”  The  answer  to this question is a bit complicated. Today I was preparing for my viva voce exam and I was crazy scared  that I was going to  fail because I had studied for, like , one day  ( to cover the syllabus of the whole year in one day :p ). I was hoping that I might  be able to give a few answers right so that professor got the impression that I had studied.  When , in effect, I gave my viva voce exam, I was able to  answer 80%  of the questions.  But when I got out of the examination room,  I was  worried about those I had dropped. I  kept on arguing with myself that if I had  shown a bit common sense and presence of mind I would have answered them too.                                          
                               At that moment, I reflected on my attitude before and after the exam and I could not help myself wondering that I was being extremely ungrateful. I wondered how I changed my standard from getting anything right to absolute perfection. But then I realized that it was not something peculiar to my behavior, it was in my instincts. In other words, it is human nature. I was feeling guilty at my ungrateful attitude at first, but then I accepted my nature and instincts.
        I started to think the whole thing in more detail and analyzed it. I came to the conclusion that ungrateful behavior is not a curse, in fact it’s a blessing in disguise. It’s one of those traits that are working unnoticeably in our society and our lives that help us survive as a community. I do not feel any moral repression in welcoming and accepting ungratefulness because it has helped mankind in unimaginable ways. It’s ungratefulness that has enabled us to struggle or strive for achieving better standards. The golden trait that keeps us on our toes and urges us to always look for better options in everything because when you are satisfied you do not work hard and you get lazy. A satisfied person does not necessarily look above or beyond himself, but an ungrateful person is always sifting through the options and trying to use novel methods. And these aspects are hallmarks of a society that is showing progress.   

2 comments:

  1. Nothing can be achieved if it weren't for the nudging stimulus of unsatisfaction...with oneself.

    ReplyDelete